Addendum to Meeting — March 4, 2018 tournament at Riverbank will be moved to March 18, 2018.
November 5, 2017 Meeting of Corporation of the Board of The Right Move at Riverbank, New York, NY
Brother John McManus, Eliot Weiss, Yvonne M. Scorcia, Marilyn C. Scorcia, Renée M. Scorcia, Alex Beasley, Henry J. Scorcia
Meeting called to order by Yvonne, President, at 3:35. Minutes from the October 2017 meeting approved
Thank you to all who volunteered: Yvonne M. Scorcia, Marilyn C. Scorcia, Renée M. Scorcia, Henry J. Scorcia, Eliot Weiss, Lawrence Chachere, Tracy Fox and Makoto Nozaki.
Thank you to the parents, guardians and coaches who arrived on time to play given the difficulties of the NYC Marathon and the losing one hour of sleep due to the return of Daylight Savings Time.
- 12 vouchers purchased.
- $27.00 in donations
- $4.25 from sale of pencils
- 2 on-site registrations
- The noise level in the tournament hall between rounds has improved considerably but is still unacceptable, with loud and disruptive persons interfering with staff directives. The Section TD should escort the children into the tournament hall and help them get seated in respectful quiet. Parents/Guardians/Coaches must remain outside.
- Parents are needed to help in many ways for the safe continuation of The Right Move tournaments. Those wishing to volunteer, please see Marilyn. If asked to help, please consider giving of your time and talents if you can.
- On November 25, there is a free chess tournament in Newburgh, New York also run by The Right Move. Come join us at Dunne Memorial ES after Thanksgiving.
- The December tournament has new Sections with new Names for the sections. If a player is moved into a different section then he/she was registered under, please trust the tournament staff to help make the right move.
- Players who make noise will be asked to leave the tournament hall; no warnings are necessary.They can forfeit the game or may be asked not to return for the next round. The tournament hall must provide conditions for playing chess.
After a brief review of all the sections with new names and rating divisions timing of rounds was visited followed by the motion: All sections should play G30/d5 for noise control. (Motion defeated by voice vote. Prevalent opinion stated that G/45;d10 offers better preparation/play for higher rated players)
Under 1400 and Open will play G45/d10
Awards ceremony continues to be improved. There was a recommendation that the speakers were poorly placed for the awards. They will be placed higher so as not to impede projection of sound. Also space will be roped off so it can project better. BOSE system grant has been promoted to sponsorship but can still be diverted back, meaning The Right Move would still be lacking sponsors for the end of the year..
NOTE TO PARENTS/GUARDIAN/COACHES: Riverbank Park does not have chess team rooms. The second floor is NOT for the use of parents, guardians, coaches or players. All of us who participate in the chess tournaments must respect the rules and regulations of the NYC Parks Department. Also, parents are asked to assist in allowing no running or ball playing in the area outside the tournament hall. There is ample space for this outside.
Motion to adjourn made by Henry and seconded by Yvonne at 4:10. Respectfully Submitted by Renée M. Scorcia, Secretary
Salute to our Champions of Tournament 227 Don’t Delay sponsored by Chess Fun Way on November 5, 2017
Open: Team 1st PS 1166M Team 2nd None
1st Marcus Sutton (2.5)
2nd Mao Nozaki (2.0)
3rd Christopher Louie (2.0)
1400: Team 1st ERM (7.2) Team 2nd Lower Lab (5.5)
1st Aliana Fausto (3.0)
2nd Alexander Li (3.0)
3rd Benjamin Kwon (2.5)
U1000: Team 1st PS 166M (8.0) Team 2nd PS 323Q (5.5)
1st Zachary F. Gray (4.0)
2nd William Yang Li (3.5)
3rd Leo Clayton Kindred (3.5)
U600: Team 1st BSI (10.5) Team 2nd ERM (10.5)
1st Samuel Negussie (4.0)
2nd Nikani Portalatin (4.0)
3rd Daria Cavallo (3.5)
U400R: Team 1st Rosalyn Yalow (12.5) Team 2nd PS 166M (5.5)
1st Liam Luna (4.0)
2nd Jeremy O. Sosa (4.0)
3rd Louis-Se Mengestu (3.0)
Beginner Gr 2-3: PS 166M (9.0) Team 2nd PS 75 (7.5)
1st Rafael Robinovich (4.0)
2nd Quentin Farquhar (4.0)
3rd Albert Tsybuiski (3.5)
1st Aleksandr Nepomnyashchiy (3.0)
2nd June Ma (3.0)
3rd Joon Kwon (3.0)