Hi!!! This outdoor scholastic chess tournament on Saturday, September 26, at Prospect Park in Brooklyn, depends on you (and, perhaps, something about the weather). … Some pointers which may be helpful appear below:
Count me in. Here
- Rounds start at 10, 11, 12:30 and 1:30.
- The ideal plan is to have 24 players divided into 4 six-player sections by rating.
- If there are 8-10 players there would be one section.
- If there are 12-14 players there would be two sections.
- If there are 18-20 players there would be three sections.
- All TD decisions are final. The purpose is to be fair yet have fun for all. Parents and coaches should model proper behavior for all.
- Medals and trophies awarded at about 3:00. No large gatherings so keep social distance.
- To pre-register click here.
- Prospect Park Parade Grounds Outdoor Chess Tables (12) are located near Kermit Place on Coney Island Ave. If you enter at the Dog Walk on Coney Island Ave. make the first right and another right. If you reach the ballfields you have gone too far. You can also enter at Caton Ave. and the chess tables would be on your left.
- Open to players from all areas. Welcome to Brooklyn from Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, etc.
- This is a rated USCF tournament. You must have current USCF membership. ($9 yearly fee for membership is available at sign-in)
- Only the first 24 to show up can play due to COVID-19 social distancing guidelines. Players must avoid gathering and wear mask when appropriate. Hand sanitizing required.
- Sign-ups on-site allowed but not to go over 24 players. (Check-in provided for signed up players until 9:45 when pairings are made.)
- All play 4 rounds at Game in 30 minutes per player with a 5-second delay.
- Bring your own food. Be helpful and help keep the park clean.
- The game is not over until the official result is recorded correctly. Both players must go to the scoring table to record the result. Then wait outside the chess playing areas until the next round is posted .
- Remember to be polite at all times but do not shake hands.
- Be brave. Be strong. If you lose learn from the experience and deal with it.
- No bullying allowed. Please report any inappropriate behavior to the TD.
What to Bring: Be COVID safe– mask is required + social distancing. Use hand sanitizer.
Sets, boards, clocks, scoresheets and pencils provided.
Best to arrive before 9:30 to meet and get settled. Pairings will be posted at 9:50 for round 1. You must be checked in to play round 1 or else begin in round 2. Rounds at 10, 11, 12:30, 1:30.
Rain Date? No. Check website www.chesstrm.org/NYC/ here on Saturday morning before 8:30 AM to see if weather forces cancellation.
Public Transportation: F or G train to Fort Hamilton Parkway (10 min walk).
My name is Renee M Scorcia, President, and I hope to see you playing your best, great chess again.